We’ve had an ongoing discussion with our upstairs neighbours and Mr No-Money about outstanding jobs on our block. We’ve been offered free insulation, and as our flat loses heat very quickly we want to get this done.
We discovered we could have the insulation, but would have to pay for the scaffolding so that it can be put into the whole building (it’s only a small block of 3 flats). So we decided with Them Upstairs (who are lovely) that if we all had to pay for scaffolding anyway, then we would have the outside painted at the same time, so we would only pay for one lot of scaffolding.
We went ahead and got loads of quotes for scaffolding and painting. However, by the time they were all in, it was too late in the year to do the painting. So we agreed to leave it over until the spring.
Then yesterday, Hub got a call from an insulation company offering not only free insulation, but insisting that they could provide scaffolding for a mere £150 (as opposed to about £2,000!) He questioned them quite carefully on this, not really able to believe it: but the girl on the phone insisted it was the case, so we went ahead and made an appointment for their insulation man to come and see us today.
He arrived, and said, oh no, that offer on scaffolding was discontinued 2 weeks ago
We were not pleased We explained that we had only gone ahead and made the appointment, on the grounds that his company was going to provide cut-price scaffolding. We pointed out to him that his company office did not seem to know what the current situation was, and therefore they had organised him a wasted journey.
(image from http://www.cloke.biz/ )